Fri 20 November 2020
Dear Tigers Members and Families,
Waverley Basketball Restart
As of this writing, we are still awaiting a definitive plan for the return to basketball from Waverley Basketball Association (WBA) and Basketball Victoria (BV). We anticipate more news from 30 November. In the interim, please find a preliminary update from WBA based on the anticipated return to basketball:
- Registrations will most likely commence in the first week of December for a modified 2021 Season.
- Registrations will be via the Basketball Victoria platform PlayHQ, and the Tigers will provide more details closer to the time and commence our formal registration process.
- WBA is planning a staggered return to basketball – a shortened 'summer' season comprised of only practice games and grading games to assist clubs in welcoming their members back to basketball:
- Rounds on 30 Jan and 6 Feb 2021 will be practice games, whereby Clubs can freely move players between teams to help to place players in the correct squads.
- From 13 Feb, there will be 6 grading rounds for preparation of the upcoming Winter 2021 Season.
- Winter 2021 will be 18 rounds commencing in Term 2 – registrations for this part of the season will open on 19 Mar and close on 2 Apr.
For many players raring to get back on the court, February will seem a long way away. Unfortunately, no schools will make indoor courts available to us for training until Term 1 2021, which impedes our ability to start any earlier.
Waverley Falcons representative basketball remains an option for players wanting to step up their basketball (and get on the court sooner). Otherwise, there will likely be basketball camps running at Waverley and other stadiums across the summer holidays to help players prepare for Winter 2021 Season.
As mentioned, we will provide more information once it is confirmed. For now, it’s just exciting that the start of basketball isn’t far away.
Tigers on the prowl in Dandenong!
We are excited to announce that the Tigers will register a limited number of U10, U12, U14, and U16 junior teams in the upper levels of Dandenong Basketball Association competition starting Summer 2020/21. Selected players will represent the Tigers in both the Dandenong and Waverley competitions!
Dandenong represents a substantial step up in basketball standards, especially in older age groups. Playing in both competitions represents a significant commitment, but will challenge, extend and develop our most talented and motivated players.
Participation is strictly by invitation only, and places in our Dandenong teams will be offered for one season at the discretion of the Senior Coaches, based on basketball ability and team balance. Offers to join a Dandenong team are currently being communicated.
Malvern Tigers Basketball Club Inc