Error message

Warning: ini_set(): A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time in drupal_environment_initialize() (line 697 of /home/mtigers/public_html/includes/

Winter 2020 Season Update

Friday 5 June 2020

Hi Tigers,

Trust that all of you and your families have been safe and well during our recent lockdown.

Basketball Update

No doubt all of us are keen to get back to playing basketball. On Thursday 4 June, both Basketball Victoria (BV) and Waverley Basketball Association (WBA) hosted webinars about the return to basketball. Unfortunately, neither organisation is yet able to provide us with definite dates.

BV and WBA are both hoping for a return to basketball in some form the week of the 11th of July and playing under BV’s guidelines: However, both are bound by the decision from the State of Victoria which has yet to make a ruling on this. If, as a community, we continue to practice safe social distancing, etc., then perhaps this is a reasonable date for which to aim. Time will tell.

Training Sessions Update

With a halt on indoor training and a desire to get our Players back playing basketball safely, the Executive Committee has explored 2 options:

  • The first option is looking at outdoor training. Following BV’s safety guidelines of limiting the numbers of players on the court at one time, staggered start and finish times to limit player contact between sessions, having designated a Biosecurity Officer at training sessions, we could conceivably hold outdoor training sessions over the two weekends prior to school holidays.
  • The second option being considered is to conduct training sessions via Zoom.

Neither option is ideal and both have their respective challenges. Until we are able to form a definitive plan, please be sure to access our Driveway Drills video library on the Tiger’s website for practice drills:

Player Registrations and Refunds

If the Winter 2020 season does commence from the 11th of July, it would mean that the season duration would roughly be cut in half. As a result, the Tigers will extend a 50% discount for Winter 2020 players who register for the Summer 2020/2021 season. For those players who do not wish to play Winter 2020, we will issue a full refund.

Where to from here? We will send another update within the next week about what is happening with outdoor training. Additionally, we will continue to send through updates from WBA as we receive them.

Stay safe and well – and Go Tigers!


Wendi Dawson
President | Malvern Tigers Basketball Club Inc